Three Hypable writers have seen Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and they’re dying to talk about it! But since we know many people don’t want spoilers, this podcast is focused specifically on our feelings about and reactions to the play and story, as opposed to discussing specific plot points.
This podcast episode discusses the first preview performance of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It is spoiler-free in that we discuss no plot points, no character arcs, and no reveals. What we do discuss are which characters we liked best, which we’d like to have seen more of, how we felt about the plot and the twists, and whether we think this holds up as the “eighth story.”
A spoiler review will be recorded shortly — although we’re not sure about when to release it yet. Please tell us in the comments whether you’d like us to hold the spoiler review until July 31, or whether you’d like to hear it sooner (and ask any questions you’d like us to answer, but please keep the comment section spoiler-free!).
– Overall reactions
– We all loved the stage design, and the magic
– The music by Imogen Heap was perfect
– But Selina and Katie didn’t have a great view of the stage
– The acting! Was amazing!
– Favourite characters/actors include Jamie Parker as Harry, Alex Pryce as Draco, Anthony Boyle as Scorpius, and Noma Dumezweni as Hermione
– But what about Ron? And Ginny?
– Our first impressions of the “new trio”
– Did everyone seem in character?
– Were there any pleasant/unpleasant surprises?
– Can’t hold it off any longer: It’s time to talk about the plot!
– Does it feel like a Harry Potter story?
– Does it break the rules of canon?
– Did we see the twists coming?
– Best/worst character arcs/relationships
– The big question: Will it work as a script?
– Is it fair to call this a ‘canon’ story when the best parts of it can only be experienced live?
– Do we think it’ll change before the world premiere/will the definitive script book be significantly different than the one being released on July 31?
– Would we go see it again?
– Listener Feedback: Did the story seem forced? Did the characters develop? Can this really be considered canon? And much more.
If there are any issues downloading this episode from iTunes, please refer to this guide.
If there are any further technical issues, feel free to contact Hypable’s podcast manager at [email protected], or tweet @HypablePodcast
We’re back with another jam-packed episodes of Hype! Selina, Kyle and Marama are still away, but Pam and Kristen are still here to hold down the fort and bring you the latest news on Star Wars, Moana, Supergirl and more!
On this Hype Special, Selina is joined by Alexander Vlahos to talk about his new show Versailles, as well as the Merlin fandom and — at a certain superfan’s own prompting — Doctor Who.
The Hype hosts are back for episode 101! Well…some of them! With Kyle off traveling the world (we’re super jealous, BTW) and Selina and Marama off this week, Kristen and Pam welcome Hypable staffer Danielle on to the show to talk about everything from Cursed Child and James Bond, to Captain Marvel!
Hype Podcast’s 100th episode is a special celebration, giving you a more personal host discussion. Enjoy!