During a webcast on Thursday morning, Universal Orlando finally unveiled a slew of information surrounding their Wizarding World of Harry Potter Diagon Alley expansion.
UPDATE: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter’s website has been revamped and includes a video introduction from Hagrid played by Robbie Coltrane. Based on what he says, it looks like the actor reprised his role for the website and maybe even an attraction. Hear what he has to say by visiting the website and going into Diagon Alley. A picture can be seen below:
We learned the following during the half-hour webcast today attended by Matt Lewis, Evanna Lynch, and James Phelps:
– The big thrill ride is “Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts.” Universal thinks they’ve raised the bar on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The escape from Gringotts will “bring the movies to life.” It’s a “multi sensory, multi dimensional experience.” One Universal rep describes the ride as suitable for the whole family. A press release says riders will “navigate their way through the perils of the Gringotts vaults.”
– Knockturn Alley is “very scary,” says James Phelps (who plays Fred Weasley). “It shows that the Wizarding World isn’t all nice. It shows the darker side to it.” Adds Matt Lewis (Neville), “it shows that contrast between good and evil.” According to a press release, the area “features Borgin and Burkes – a shop specializing in the Dark Arts that will offer a wide variety of Dark objects, such as Death Eater masks, skulls, and other sinister items.”
– The first thing you’ll see at Diagon Alley is the Knight Bus. You’ll pass through the brick wall then walk down Diagon Alley which is “filled” with things to explore. New stores include (details below from a press release):
1) Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, a vibrant shop featuring novelty items, magical jokes, and toys inspired by the books and films that will amaze the mischievous child in everyone
2) Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, where guests will find a variety of wizardwear from Hogwarts school uniform ties, scarves and jumpers, to authentic wizard’s robes and character costumes
3) Magical Menagerie, which features a collection of plush animals, such as owls and Hippogriffs
4) Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment, where guests can grab wizarding essentials such as telescopes, binoculars, armillary spheres, compasses, magnifying glasses and hourglasses
5) Quality Quidditch Supplies, offering a wide assortment of apparel and equipment including Quidditch sweaters, brooms, Golden Snitches, Bludgers, Bludger bats, Quaffles and more
6) Scribbulus, featuring authentic writing implements and products such as feather quills, ink and inkwells, bookmarks, journals, parchment paper, seals, stationery sets and postcards
7) Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour for frozen treats in a variety of tantalizing and unique flavors such as strawberry-and-peanut-butter ice-cream and many others
– The Hogwarts Express will be an “incredible” journey. Guests with a park to park ticket will be able to travel between the two lands in a “seamless adventure.” In the webcast we got to see inside the Hogwarts Express. Evanna Lynch appeared and said the train feels more realistic than it does in the films because it is bigger than a set.
Check out beautiful new Diagon Alley concept art below. Click each one to see it full size!
At Islands of Adventure’s Hogsmeade, the land will be expanding Honeydukes while Zonkos leaves.
A release date for Diagon Alley has not been announced but will be sometime this summer.
Carnival Row is fantasy that fucks.
Will Byers’s story line in Stranger Things season 3 reminded me exactly why I love this show so much.
Ahead of the closing of Puffs, Hypable interviewed the four remaining members of the original cast, who will have been with Puffs from its humble beginnings to the very end: Zac Moon (Wayne Hopkins), Andy Miller (Leanne), Stephen Stout (Ernie Mac, and a producer on the show), and Madeleine Bundy (Susie Bones/Harry Potter, and the designer of the show).
The gravity of the Last of Us gay representation cannot be overstated, as it brings LGBTQ+ people to the frontlines of mainstream action/adventure video games for the first time.
There’s not much to be surprised by in The Kitchen, unless you weren’t expecting the body count, but then you probably didn’t know what you were getting into.
The final trailer for the upcoming season of 13 Reasons Why reveals the season’s big murder — and that nearly everyone had a motive for doing it.
The trailer for the holiday romantic comedy Last Christmas starring Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding is here and it is completely adorable.
LGBTQ+ adoption is something Supergirl should explore, just not yet
Looks like fans of Netflix’s To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before will get to spend next Valentine’s Day weekend with Lara Jean Covey, Peter Kavinsky, and John Ambrose!
An adaptation of Ernest Hemingway’s A Moveable Feast is making its way to the small screen.