We sat down with the cast of Black Lightning at SDCC and got a few hints and a few hopes for the upcoming season!
The Arrow-verse may get much of the attention, but the CW’s best superhero show by far is Black Lightning.
Rather than focusing on Easter eggs, crossovers, or increasingly bigger and more convoluted storylines, Black Lightning keeps its focus tight on its characters, so that the show is more like a family drama with superheroes sprinkled in rather than the other way around.
Season 2 finally saw Jennifer Pierce step into a suit and use her powers to help take down Tobias Whale, which meant the Pierce family could celebrate… for about two seconds until Agent Odell appeared in their living room and told them about the upcoming Markovian war. Looks like your favorite superhero family will have to wait just a little bit longer to take a well-deserved vacation from saving Freeland.
Check out the sizzle reel below, which recapped an electric and awesome second season and got us excited for what comes next!
With the show just now shooting its first episode for season 3, there wasn’t much the cast could tell us about where the season was going and what their characters’ arcs would be. However, we were able to ask them what they were hoping to see (and what they might pitch hard to the writers). Check out their answers below!
What do you hope for your character in season 3?
- China Anne McClain as Jennifer Pierce: “I want to see Jennifer in a full leather suit — a second suit. I would want to see her just go at it with Thunder. I want them together and I want them to fight together. All season, if I can get that, I’ll be happy.”
- Jordan Calloway as Khalil: “First of all, I want to see Khalil in season 8. I want to keep going. But this season, I want Khalil to get a break — and not his back, let’s clarify. Can he get a win? I’d like to see him get a win.”
- Christine Adams as Lynn Pierce: “Mama Pierce is gonna do whatever it takes. I mean, she already has. She’s used her brains and what she knows as a doctor, but she’s also used shotguns and her fists to beat Dr. Jace into the ground (which was so satisfying). So Lynn can potentially do anything — she’s got a bit of a crazy gene in her. She’s gonna do what it takes. I don’t know what that looks like at the moment, but for sure she’s not going to go back to lab and put the coat on for a while. She’s gonna go to the trenches with the daughters and the husband.”
- Nafessa Williams as Anissa Pierce: “There’s a lot going on with Grace in her head and in her heart, so I hope we can come to some kind of resolution and give the fans what they want because I know how much fans appreciate that relationship. I also hope we get to see more of what’s she’s like on a personal side, non-romantic. Like who is her best friend, what are some secrets she shares with her best friend, what is she like with her friends? I’d like to see that. I’d also like to [see her and Jennifer] kick ass together. Can you imagine two Black superhero sisters with braids and fly hair, flying and doing stuff? I’m ready for that.”
- Marvin Jones III aka Krondon as Tobias Whale: “I hope he doesn’t stay in The Pit too long. I’m excited to see if I’m gonna get out of there, how I’m gonna get out of there, when I’m gonna get out of there. I hope he makes some allies while he’s in there. One thing I keep saying is I hope we get to a point where we are able to justify Tobias’ evil with good and vice versa. Justify Jefferson’s good with evil. I’m hoping we get to that point — I think that’s what makes it incredible. That’s what makes the show and the arcs incredible.
- Cress Williams as Jefferson Pierce: “What I can tell you is that for Jefferson, at first, it’s about keeping his family out of the war and what does he have to do to keep them out of the war — so he’s going to have to make some sacrifices and go to a place he doesn’t want to go. I do hope to see us continue to expand, to bring in more villains, more good guys.”