We’re back wth another Hype Podcast Special! Eoin Macken and Tom Hopper are both here to talk about their indie drama, Leopard, the consistent love they still feel from the Merlin fandom, and even that harrowing premiere of The Walking Dead season 7!
It’s been over four years since Eoin Macken and Tom Hopper portrayed the roles of Sir Gwaine and Sir Percival on BBC’s beloved Merlin, but it’s clear they still feel the love of the fanbase. In fact, both actors are quick to point out that their latest joint endeavor, Leopard (formerly known as Cold), couldn’t have been made without the generous fan donations they received when they put their sweeping indie drama up on the crowdfunding website, Indie Go-Go.
Originally inspired by a conversation the two had on a lunch break, the film was written, directed, and produced by Macken himself, and takes notes from John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men as it weaves its intriguing tale about two estranged brothers (Macken and Hopper) and their mysterious mother.
Four years later, Macken and Hopper are celebrating the American release of Leopard and were kind enough to join Pam for a very special episode of Hype Podcast. Listen in as in we take a look back on what it took to make Leopard a reality, reminisce on the process behind some of the most memorable scenes in the film, and much more.
Be sure to keep an eye on Hypable! We’ll be posting a feature to accompany this Special in just a few days! That being said, we recommend you listen to our full Special as it’ll dive deeper into the process of making Leopard.
WARNING: this episode may contain mild spoilers for Leopard— proceed at your own risk!
– The film formerly known as Cold is officially available to rent and purchase via Amazon and iTunes in the U.S.! Eoin gives us a quick rundown as to why they needed to change the name to Leopard, a title they love equally as much.
– Leopard has literally been years in the making and we talk about the long process it takes for indie films to eventually see the light of day.
– Every great film idea has to start somewhere, and both Eoin and Tom take a moment to reminisce on the fateful lunch conversation they had while on the set of Merlin that eventually lead to Leopard’s conception.
– Tom, who plays a character with a unique mental condition in the film, explains how he went about preparing for such a role. Both guys also take a moment to talk about why it was important not to make Tom’s condition a focal point of the film.
– The pair reminisce over the tight shooting schedule they had to keep in order to bring Leopard to life, and Tom shares an interesting fact about the clothing he wore in the film!
– Tom and Jack take center stage but this film is chock-full of interesting characters! Eoin talks a bit about why the idea of hiring your friends to star in your indie film is incredibly ironic.
– There’s no denying Leopard packs an emotional punch, but as an actor, is it easy to let that emotion go after the director yells cut?
– It’s no secret that Eoin and Tom have shared a screen before, but what was it like to make the transition from screen mates to director and actor? Is it difficult to wear so many hats on set? Which scene did the guys find the most difficult to get through? All these questions and more are discussed as we take a closer look at the behind the scenes process of making Leopard.
– As Hype Podcast’s resident music junkie, Pam just can’t resist asking about some of the songs used throughout the film. Tom also reveals why the track “Fall Away” by Evora holds an extra special meaning to him.
– You don’t need to tell the hosts of Hype Podcast that the Merlin fandom is still going strong, but do Eoin and Tom still feel the love and passion nearly four years after the series has wrapped? (SPOILERS: the answer is yes, but you WON’T want to miss what they had to say on the matter!)
– We wrap up the show by asking both guys about some of the projects they’ve got coming down the pipeline.
– Finally, in How We Hype, Tom tells us he’s been loving HBO’s new sci-fi drama, Westworld, and Eoin and Pam STILL aren’t over THAT SCENE from the season premiere of The Walking Dead.
Haven’t had a chance to experience Eoin Macken and Tom Hopper’s Leopard yet? Remember, if you’re in the U.S. Leopard is now available to stream and purchase via both Amazon and iTunes! If you choose to check it out, be sure to drop us a line to let us know what you thought of the film!
If there are any issues downloading this episode from iTunes, please refer to this guide.
Hype Podcast is all about TV this week, from Star Trek: Discovery and That’s So Raven news to Conviction, The Crown and The Walking Dead reviews.
It’s a Gilmore Girls Hype mini-Special! Our resident superfans, Marama and Pamela couldn’t control their excitement, and so are here to break down the first real Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life trailer.
Hype Podcast breaks down this week’s entertainment news: Donald Glover joins the Han Solo movie, Logan and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 get trailers, Deadpool 2 loses Tim Miller, Nintendo reveals the Switch, and much more.
Join Pam and Marama as they break down all of the latest entertainment news on Hype Podcast! Fantastic Beasts, Star Wars: Rogue One, Miranda Sing’s Haters Back Off, and more are discussed on this week’s jam-packed episode.