Outlander is going to be back this spring, and Starz has just released a teaser to whet our appetites.
Starz hasn’t given the official release date of Outlander’s season 2 premiere just yet, but we are pretty sure that our prediction is close.
The official synopsis for the season reads, “Season 2 of Outlander begins as Claire and Jamie arrive in France, hell-bent on infiltrating the Jacobite rebellion led by Prince Charles Stuart, and stopping the battle of Culloden. With the help of his cousin Jared, a local wine merchant, Jamie and Claire are thrown into the lavish world of French society, where intrigue and parties are abundant, but political gain proves far less fruitful. Altering the course of history presents challenges that begin to weigh on the very fabric of their relationship. However, armed with the knowledge of what lies ahead, Claire and Jamie must race to prevent a doomed Highland uprising, and the extinction of Scottish life as they know it.”
The newly released teaser has both old, familiar faces such as Jamie (Sam Heughan) and Claire (Caitriona Balfe), as well as new faces covered in our Outlander season 2 casting guide. We also have our first look at Stanley Weber as the Comte St. Germain at the 21 second mark in the teaser below.
For newbies and long-time fans, there are some awesome moments in the teaser. Here is the rundown of our top moments from the trailer:
- Claire’s narration is spot on. We’ve missed that soothing Claire voice during our Droughtlander.
- We adore 18th century Paris exteriors. OK, so it’s actually current day Prague, but it looks amazing. The visuals have always been an Outlander high point, and season 2 is not going to disappoint.
- Can we are just say how happy we are to see more than Scottish woollens? Costume designer Terry Dresbach did an amazing job last year getting all the costumes just right. We love that she was particular about details, like getting just the right shade of red for the British army uniforms. At the same time, to be authentic to the period and situation, she didn’t have the opportunity to do a plethora of things that were visually stunning. Now that the action has moved to France and the court of the king, the costumes are nothing short of jaw dropping.
- For superfans and book readers, the eight second mark literally gave us chills.
- The 14 second mark has Jamie and Claire in bed, and it’s obvious that Claire is very pregnant. It’s an incredibly touching moment.
- At 16 seconds we see the red dress. For book fans we know where this is going, and we can’t wait to see the front!
- We get to see Jamie using a sword with who we think is Murtagh, and Murtagh later helps Claire from a carriage.
- We needed to hear Sassenach! We’ve missed Jamie’s cheeky grin.
- The 30 second mark is perfection, the way that Jamie and Claire are looking at each other is why we watch.
- The focus on Claire is spot on. As much as the ongoing story of Outlander is the story of Jamie and Claire, for reasons we won’t spoil, there is a heavy Claire narration in the second book, Dragonfly in Amber. This seems to be well reflected in the teaser.
Outlander will be back on Starz this spring!