Marvel’s aiming to create a standalone Spider-Man film for every year alter ego Peter Parker is in high school, a new report reveals.
Deadline says the studio is “planning an arc that will tell the Spidey story over three to four movies, each covering a year of high school for Peter Parker, who’ll already have been bitten by the radioactive spider so we don’t have to see that all over again. The tone they are searching for in the coming of age tale is John Hughes humor and emotion, plus all the superhero stuff.”
Not going through Spidey’s origins will come as welcome news to those who are already feeling some Spider-Man fatigue. Sony went through the origins tale with the Tobey Maguire-led Spider-Man in 2002 and the Andrew Garfield-led The Amazing Spider-Man a decade later in 2012.
With Spider-Man bound to be one of Marvel’s most popular super heroes within their Cinematic Universe, it’s no surprise that there are already plans to make several films starring the webbed crusader. Grounding him in high school will give the series an arc (and inevitably remind us of Harry Potter?) while differentiating this hero from the older Avengers.
Deadline’s same report has named five directors who Marvel is considering to helm the first Spider-Man: 50/50 and Warm Bodies director Jonathan Levine, St. Vincent writer Ted Melfi, Pitch Perfect director Jason Moore, Vacation directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein, and Napoleon Dynamite director Jared Hess. The report cautions that this list is by no means complete — Marvel is looking outside of these five as well.
On the casting side, we’ve previously told you that Marvel is currently deciding between Asa Butterfield (Ender’s Game) and Tom Holland (In the Heart of the Sea). An announcement is expected soon, as Spidey is set to appear in Captain America: Civil War which is about to begin shooting.
Civil War hits theaters one year from today: May 6, 2016. The first Spider-Man film opens July 28, 2017.