Disney has announced that their musical adaptation of Into The Woods started filming last week in England.
Shoots for the highly-anticipated musical began under the direction of Rob Marshall. Stephen Sondheim, who wrote the stage show’s lyrics and songs, is also involved and wrote a brand new song for the movie.
The cast list reminds you just how huge Into The Woods will be:
– Meryl Streep: The Witch
– Emily Blunt: The Baker’s Wife
– James Corden: The Baker
– Anna Kendrick: Cinderella
– Chris Pine: Cinderella’s Prince
– Johnny Depp: The Wolf
– Lilla Crawford: Little Red Riding Hood
– Daniel Huttlestone: Jack
– Tracey Ullman: Jack’s Mother
– Christine Baranski: The Stepmother
– MacKenzie Mauzy: Rapunzel
– Billy Magnussen: The Price who courts Rapunzel
– Tammy Blanchard and Lucy Punch: Cinderella’s stepsisters Florinda and Lucinda
A press release issued by Disney today indicates that Into The Woods will include the beloved stage songs “Children Will Listen,” “Giants in the Sky,” “On the Steps of the Palace,” “No One Is Alone,” and “Agony.”
Below is Disney’s full cast list which includes their official character descriptions:
· Meryl Streep (“The Iron Lady,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” “August: Osage County”) portrays the Witch who wishes to reverse a curse so that her beauty may be restored.
· Emily Blunt (“Looper,” “The Young Victoria,” “The Devil Wears Prada”) is the Baker’s Wife, a childless woman who longs to be a mother.
· James Corden (Broadway’s “One Man, Two Guvnors,” “The Three Musketeers,” “Gavin & Stacey”) plays the role of the Baker, a hard-working man who desperately wants to start a family.
· Anna Kendrick (“Pitch Perfect,” “Up in the Air”) fills the shoes of Cinderella, who finds herself on a journey of self-discovery.
· Chris Pine (“Star Trek Into Darkness,” “Jack Ryan”) portrays Cinderella’s Prince, charming and impossibly handsome, who is on an endless quest to find his bride.
· Johnny Depp (“Pirates of the Caribbean” films, “The Lone Ranger,” “Sweeney Todd”) steps in as the Wolf, who sets his sights on Little Red Riding Hood.
· Lilla Crawford (Broadway’s “Annie”) makes her feature-film debut as Little Red Riding Hood, a smart and spunky girl who journeys into the woods, finding unexpected adventures along the way.
· Daniel Huttlestone (“Les Misérables”) lands the role of Jack, an absentminded and adventurous boy who trades his treasured cow for five magic beans.
· Tracey Ullman joins the cast as Jack’s Mother, a poor and exasperated mom who is overwhelmed, yet fiercely protective of her son.
· Christine Baranski (“Mamma Mia!,” “Chicago” “The Good Wife”) takes on the infamous Stepmother who wishes for riches and grandeur; she’ll do anything to marry off one of her daughters to a prince.
· MacKenzie Mauzy (“Brother’s Keeper,” Broadway’s “Next to Normal”) plays Rapunzel, a sheltered young woman who experiences the world beyond her tower for the first time.
· Billy Magnussen (Broadway’s “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike,” “Boardwalk Empire,” “The East”) is the dashing and eager Prince who courts Rapunzel.
Article Continues Below
Celebrated actors from the stage and screen fill the supporting roles, including Tammy Blanchard (“Blue Jasmine,” “The Good Shepherd”) and Lucy Punch (“Bad Teacher,” “Dinner for Schmucks”) as Cinderella’s spoiled stepsisters, Florinda and Lucinda. Richard Glover (“Sightseers,” “St. Trinian’s”) is the Princess’ royal steward, Frances de la Tour (“Hugo,” “Alice In Wonderland”) portrays the giant, and Simon Russell Beale (“The Deep Blue Sea”) is the Baker’s father. Actress Joanna Riding (“My Fair Lady,” “Carousel”) portrays Cinderella’s late mother, and Little Red Riding Hood’s beloved granny is played by Annette Crosbie (“Calendar Girls,” “The Slipper and the Rose”).
Into The Woods is set to open in theaters December 25, 2014.