Netflix’s first Original Series is coming to an end, but it’s going to be a bump ride getting there. The Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright-led House of Cards will close after season 6, and for now, the show has halted production.
Update (October 31): Netflix has suspended production of House of Cards while they review the Spacey situation. “MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” the companies said in a joint statement.
The decision to halt production may’ve been made to see if further allegations come forward about Spacey. Stories similar to the one revealed by Anthony Rapp could in turn cause Netflix and MRC to potentially write Frank out of the show, or cancel the final season all together.
Original story (October 30): News broke Monday afternoon but is unrelated to yesterday’s news that Spacey, when he was 26 years old, once made a sexual advance toward Anthony Rapp, who was 14 at the time. Spacey sorta-kinda apologized, and used the opportunity to change the conversation to his own coming out.
House of Cards’ ending was broken by The Hollywood Reporter, who says the decision to end after season 6 was made months ago. The show went into production earlier this month.
We’re still waiting for an official announcement from Netflix, who may have a few more pieces of news to share.
Season 5 ended with Clare wielding much of the power in the White House as her relationship with Frank became ever more damaged. The big question is: Will the American House of Cards end the same way that the U.K. one did?
There’s no House of Cards season 6 air date yet. Netflix used to release new seasons of the political drama in the winter, but with season 5 they moved the premiere date to May.