Disney has announced several projects that’ve been rumored for months, including sequels to Maleficent, The Jungle Book, and Mary Poppins.
You may’ve heard of these nine projects before, but today’s announcement marks the first time Disney is confirming these movies are in development. Take a look for yourself:
- Cruella with Emma Stone set for the title role and Kelly Marcel writing
- A Wrinkle in Time with Ana DuVernay attached to direct and Jennifer Lee writing
- Jungle Cruise with Dwayne Johnson set to star and John Requa and Glenn Ficarra writing
- Dumbo with director Tim Burton and writer Ehren Kruger
- A sequel to Mary Poppins with director Rob Marshall, starring Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Maleficent 2 with Angelina Jolie set to return in the title role and Lina Woolverton writing
- The Jungle Book 2 with both director Jon Favreau and writer Justin Marks returning
- A Tinker Bell project with Reese Witherspoon set to star and Victoria Strouse writing
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms with director Lasse Hallstrom and writer Ashleigh Powell
Disney also planted flags in a few release dates but did not say which movies are coming out when. Three Disney fairytales are coming out July 28, 2017; April 6, 2018; and December 20, 2019, while two non-fairytale projects are slated for August 3, 2018 and December 25, 2018. If one of those last two dates are for The Jungle Book 2, it could be bad news for WB and Andy Serkis’ Jungle Book, which is slated for October 2018.
Hit the links above to learn more about each of the projects. We’ve reported on most of them previously.
Which Disney live-action projects are you looking forward to? … Or not looking forward to?
After a string of successes from Maleficent to The Jungle Book, it seems like Disney is only getting started with these live-action fairytale retellings. We wonder if they’re going to be planned in phases similar to how Marvel handles their “Cinematic Universe” (which is currently in Phase 3). We know that there are other projects currently in the works, including a live-action Aladdin spinoff following the Genie, a movie about Winnie the Pooh, and Peter Pan, but we didn’t hear anything about those today. Perhaps they’re coming in Phase 2?
This is a good time to remind you that you should be playing our Disney Animated-to-Live-Action Bingo Game. Print a bingo card and play along! Here’s my card as of April 25: