Another interesting “Best of 2012″ list was revealed today and is made up by many of our readers’ contributions: iTunes purchases.
Apple revealed the top songs, movies, and television shows of 2012. The lists go as follows:
Top Songs of 2012
1. “Call Me Maybe” from Carly Rae Jepsen
2. “Somebody That I Used to Know” from Gotye
3. “We Are Young” from Fun. featuring Janelle Monáe
4. “Payphone” from Maroon 5 featuring Wiz Khalifa
5. “Starships” from Nicki Minaj
Top Albums of 2012
1. 21 from Adele
2. Red from Taylor Swift
3. Babel from Mumford & Sons
4. Up All Night from One Direction
5. Some Nights from Fun.
Top Television Seasons of 2012
1. Downton Abbey, season 2
2. The Walking Dead, season 3
3. Breaking Bad, season 5
4. Mad Men, season
5. Homeland, season 1
Top Television Episodes of 2012
1. “Seed” from The Walking Dead
2. “Live Free or Die” from Breaking Bad
3. “Episode 1″ from Downton Abbey
4. “Tea Leaves” from Mad Men
5. “iGo One Direction” from iCarly
Top Movies (Purchases and Rentals) of 2012:
1. The Hunger Games
2. 21 Jump Street
4. The Avengers
5. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
These results are similar to Google’s Zeitgeist which found that The Hunger Games was the highest-trending-movie of 2012.
We love the top television episode sales. iTunes users purchased some of the best television episodes of the year – save for the iCarly episode whose purchases were clearly influenced by One Direction appearing on the show.
You can visit this section of iTunes to see additional lists and information.
Hypable encourages the community to use our Comments feature to hold thoughtful, polite, and critical discussions. We do NOT tolerate inappropriate, rude, or downright mean discussion towards the news story's subject matter or towards other Hypable users. We reserve the right to delete or ban comments and users who violate these guidelines.