This morning, Pottermore announced that “you can now visit the library on Pottermore and read excerpts from selected books.”
In typical Pottermore fashion, it was very unclear what this announcement meant. Excerpts from the e-books? Excerpts from books we’ve already read? What library? Is this material new?
After searching Twitter, and lots of mindless clicking, it’s beginning to become clear. J.K. Rowling has written excerpts of books found within the Hogwarts library, and they’re readable as of today if you find them hidden in Pottermore Moments that are set in the library (specifically chapters 12, 14, and 15).
Below are links to all five. Special thanks to @Larissafoo who helped us find all of these!
– “A Beginner’s Guide to Transfiguration”: When Transfiguring, it is important to make firm and decisive wand movements. Do not wiggle or twirl your wand unnecessarily, or the Transfiguration will certainly be unsuccessful. (more)
– “One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi”: Dittany is a powerful healing herb and restorative and may be eaten raw to cure shallow wounds. (more)
– “Curses and Counter-Curses”: The Tickling Spell: Point your wand directly at your enemy and shout ‘Titillando!’ (more)
– “The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)”: Charms differ from Transfiguring Spells in the following manner: a charm adds certain properties to an object or creature, whereas a transfiguring spell will change it into something utterly different. (more)
– “The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection”: Werewolf bites should be thoroughly and magically cleaned, as the werewolf’s fangs are venomous. However, there is no cure once you have become a werewolf, so try and avoid being bitten at all costs. (more)
Give ’em all a read on Pottermore. What do you think of these small tidbits of new material?