During a shareholders conference call Tuesday morning, Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed that plans are currently in the works for The Incredibles 2 and Cars 3.
While not many additional details were shared, Iger said that The Incredibles director Brad Bird is currently working on a story for the sequel. The news comes on the heels of an announcement yesterday that The Incredibles will be re-released in theaters in 3D. In our report on Monday we suggested that the 3D re-release will be timed around the opening of a potential Incredibles sequel, like how Toy Story 3D opened in theaters ahead of Toy Story 3.
Iger said that a new Cars movie is in the works as well but did not elaborate further. News of a third installment first leaked last October when one of the voice actors said the project is in development. Last week we told you that a Cars short film is slated for release next year, but today’s announcement sounds like a different project entirely.
Up next for Pixar on the release calendar is Inside Out in June 2015, The Good Dinosaur in November 2015, and the Finding Nemo sequel Finding Dory in June 2016. They also have slotted films for June 2017, November 2017, and June 2018, but those projects haven’t been revealed yet. They could very well be for Cars or Incredibles.
However, the animation studio said last year that they are transitioning into a new release schedule whereby they release an original story every year and a sequel every other year, so if we take everything into consideration, we may not see The Incredibles 2 and Cars 3 until 2018 or 2020.
Most Pixar fans will tell you that they’ve been eagerly anticipating an Incredibles sequel, so today’s news should delight many.