Curious about what major characters from the A Song of Ice and Fire series will appear in Game of Thrones‘ third season? Look no further!
Two of the characters that fans are most anxious to see are Jojen and Meera Reed, who were introduced in the second novel, A Clash of Kings, but were left out of season 2. So, will they appear? Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss confirm to EW that yes, they will indeed! They explain:
[Jojen and Meera Reed] haven’t been written out. It’s important to point out that that we have the largest cast on television right now. We introduced dozens of new characters in season 2. If you hurl 300 characters at an audience, the story collapses under the weight of too many faces, too many names, and too many subplots. We need to be just as mindful of the audience members who have never read the books as we are of the readers; the series will fail if we only appeal to those who already know the characters. So we try to be parsimonious about how many new roles we introduce to the story and when we introduce them.
That’s great news, right guys? Let’s take a look at the rest of the list, and EW’s non-spoilery descriptions:
– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.
– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.
– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.
– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.
– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.
– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.
– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.
– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.
Which of these characters are you most looking forward to meeting in the HBO series?!
Image credit: The Misanthropologist.
Hypable encourages the community to use our Comments feature to hold thoughtful, polite, and critical discussions. We do NOT tolerate inappropriate, rude, or downright mean discussion towards the news story's subject matter or towards other Hypable users. We reserve the right to delete or ban comments and users who violate these guidelines.