In Very Good Lives, J.K. Rowling’s inspirational and insightful advice takes center stage.
In 2008, J.K. Rowling gave a moving commencement speech at Harvard University that resonated with many people around the world. Now with the publication of Very Good Lives, you can own your own copy of her inspirational words.
The book’s full title is Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination, which does somewhat give the game away in terms of the book’s contents. Then again, it is likely that you have already watched Rowling’s emotional speech, so this isn’t about new content.
Instead, Very Good Lives gives us Rowling’s commencement speech in a brand new context. At just over 70 pages, the simple and bold design places the emphasis on Rowling’s words, which are accompanied by striking black, white and red illustrations. Put simply, Very Good Lives would make a beautiful and thoughtful gift for anyone in your life, at an important moment in their life, whether they are a Harry Potter fan or not.
If you need any further convincing, 10% of Rowling’s proceeds from Very Good Lives will be donated to university-wide financial aid at Harvard University and the other 90% will be donated to Lumos. Lumos is a non-profit organization founded by Rowling, that aims to end the institutionalization of children. Rowling recently launched Lumos in the United States, and Hypable was in attendance.
Nine inspirational and insightful J.K. Rowling quotes from ‘Very Good Lives’:
J.K. Rowling’s 2008 Harvard commencement speech is available online, and is well worth the watch. You can even consider it a Very Good Lives audiobook, read by J.K. Rowling herself:
‘Very Good Lives’ by J.K. Rowling is available now.
Graphics by Angelica Yap
Ship It, the debut YA novel from Riverdale’s Britta Lundin, is the best fable ever told about the realities — from every plausible angle — of fandom.
Last Shot, a Han Solo (and Lando) focused novel by Daniel José Older, was released in April, ahead of Solo: A Star Wars Story. Here’s what you need to know about it, before you see the movie.
Solo: A Star Wars Story provides rich world-building and character backstories, but the film is hampered by weak pacing and minimal character development.
That big cameo in Solo caught us completely off-guard… for many reasons. What the heck is going on with the Star Wars timeline?
The 100 5×05, “Shifting Sands,” was all about the words, spoken and unspoken, between friends and strangers. Here is our review.
Once again, the fight is on to renew Timeless. Last year, NBC canceled Timeless after its first season for the usual reason TV networks cancel shows; low ratings.
From its very first scene, Deadpool 2 sets itself up as Logan with a Deadpool-style twist. Are the stories really that different from each other?
At the very least, it shows supportive parents
Get ready to welcome The Babysitter’s Club back to television!
In a time when courtship rituals and etiquette books where a thing, Kerri Maniscalco expertly writes a masterclass series ripe with romantic tension amidst the bedlam of the Whitechapel murders.
Recent Podcast Episodes
- Resistance Radio
Mikey, Donya, Kaitlin are back with guest hosts Evan from the Jodocast, Dan-O from the Dan-O channel, and Eric Scull from Mugglecast to talk about all the latest Star Wars and Solo news! SPOILER ALERT! Solo: A Star Wars Story review with plot points.
Join ReWatchable as we get closer to the end with our discussion of Angel 5×17, “Underneath,” and 5×18, “Origins.”
- Resistance Radio
Mikey, Ben and Eric are back with all the latest Star Wars and Solo news! We also dive into characters who have had multiple actors/actress portray them.
Hype Podcast 187 breaks down the TV cancellations and un-cancellations: Brooklyn 99, The Expanse, Lucifer and Timeless among them!