Do your favorite authors rank as the top earning writers of 2013?
Below are the Top Earning Authors of 2013, according to Forbes:
– E.L. James (Fifty Shades of Grey): $95 million
– James Patterson (Maximum Ride): $91 million
– Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games): $55 million
– Bill O’Reilly (Killing Lincoln): $28 million
– Danielle Steel (First Sight): $26 million
– Jeff Kinney (Diary of a Wimpy Kid): $24 million
– Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum): $24 million
– Nora Roberts (Chasing Fire): $23 million
– Dan Brown (Inferno): $22 million
– Stephen King (Under the Dome): $20 million
Rounding out the list are Dean Koontz with $20m, John Grisham with $18m, David Baldacci with $15m, Rick Riordan with $14m, and J.K. Rowling with $13m.
These numbers may not surprise many people. Rowling may see a boost from the #15 spot after her success with The Cuckoo’s Calling is tallied over the next few months. Riordan too may see a boost when House of Hades is published later this year.
Forbes notes that Patterson stays on top nearly every year and predicts he will be back in the number one spot in 2014.
While James, the Fifty Shades trilogy author, is currently in the top spot, it’s very likely that she will drop far, far out of the list next year. Her Twilight fan fiction turned runaway hit was one-off luck.
Besides the #1 spot, which authors surprised you most?