The Originals final season is only one week away, and we couldn’t be more excited. If you need a little refresher course as to what exactly happened in the last moments of season 4, look no further.
It’s been a long hiatus since last June, when The Originals season 4 came to a game-changing end. In case you don’t have time for a full rewatch, or if you just want to double check your Originals facts, here’s the skinny on what went down in that season 4 finale.
The end of ‘Always and forever’: ‘The Originals’ season 4 finale refresher
- The Hollow, the mysterious big bad that has its roots deep in native New Orleans culture, chooses Hope as her final, most powerful host.
- Despite all his perilous work, Vincent only has one final idea to offer in an attempt to put the Hollow away for good.
- Like the bones that were hunted earlier in the season, Vincent plans to split the Hollow into four pieces and scatter those pieces across the globe.
- The only problem? Those four pieces will be bonded to each of the remaining Mikaelson vampires.
- Important to keep in mind: The Hollow is so powerful, she can raise the dead all on her own. Freya has returned her siblings from the dead a few times, but she always needs a power source to do so (see Elijah’s resurrection from 4×11, “A Spirit Here That Won’t Be Broken”).
- The pieces can never be reunited, so the four Mikaelson siblings can never be together again, as it would bring the pieces of the Hollow together and allow her to terrorize yet again.
- Freya was willing to become a vampire to keep Hayley and Hope together when it didn’t look like Kol was going to show up in time. She refused to allow a child to be separated from her mother for all time.
- Kol does show in time to stop his sister from sacrificing her magic and her life for Hope and Hayley’s future.
- Vincent splits the Hollow into four pieces and attaches those pieces to each of the four living Mikaelson vampires.
- The Mikaelsons are forced to separate for good. Rebekah, Kol, Klaus, and Elijah can never reunite, and they must all stay away from Hope.
- Elijah, knowing his tendency to come to Klaus’ rescue, preempts his own failure by having Marcel compel him to forget his “Always and Forever” vow. He literally doesn’t remember his family or anything that he’s done to protect and defend them.
- Rebekah makes us all cry as she reminds us how much she’s always wanted children, and how she knows that she’s going to miss the rest of Hope’s childhood. She asks Freya to give Hope her Mikaelson initial pendant so that her niece will carry a piece of her Auntie Bex all her days. (It’s a good thing there’s no such thing as tear stains on internet posts. **crying**)
- Marcel runs off to NYC to be with Rebekah, so he has officially left the Quarter.
- Kol plans to return to Davina’s side in San Francisco, CA, but stops to get some jewelry made from that giant diamond of his.
- Hayley takes Hope to Mystic Falls to attend Alaric and Caroline’s boarding school for supernatural youngsters.
- Elijah runs off to France where he plays the piano in a bar for tips… and is minus his trademark suit.
- Klaus, who cannot help himself, breaks the rules and visits Elijah.
Whew! If you have time, I highly suggest a rewatch of the finale before next Wednesday’s premiere. It will take you right back to all the emotions that come with this devoted family separating for the good of Hope, the only innocent Mikaelson left.
The Originals returns Wednesday April 18, 2018 at 9pm Eastern on the CW.