Scream Queens, one of fall’s most highly-anticipated new series, aired its massive two hour premiere last night on Fox.
This story will contain spoilers from the first two episodes of the series, “Pilot” and “Hell Week.”
It didn’t take long for Ryan Murphy to find his way back onto Fox following the final episodes of Glee from earlier this year. Scream Queens, which is billed as a comedy/horror, was more over-the-top camp and not really any horror at all. The first two hours of the series featured more one-liners and tongue-and-cheek moments than anything that would actually scare anyone. Remember, this is Fox, not HBO.
Speaking of the running time, two hours is a long time to sit through a show that you’ve never seen before. Though the premiere didn’t struggle with pace, it did struggle with finding its linear story. Halfway through the second hour, we had forgotten some of what had happened in the first hour because it felt so long ago.
That being said, Scream Queens brought lots of laughs and the sheer idea of trying to figure out who the Red Devil is will keep us and many other fans coming back week after week.
So, given the massive two hour premiere, here are 20 things that we loved and hated about last night’s series premiere!
- Throwback Tuesday – It was awesome hearing TLC’s “Waterfalls” playing at the party from 1995 in the opening of the show.
- Dead Mom – The show opens with a death right away: a woman dead in a bathtub. A child survived, who we have to assume is one of the present-day college characters.
- Killer Spray Tan – We aren’t even done rolling through the credits and we’re down two people. The previous head of KKT got doused with hydrochloric acid during a spray tan and presumably died (though it’s never quite clear) to make way for Chanel.
- Chanel – Played by Emma Roberts, Chanel is the embodiment of everything you hate about your stereotypical, mean-spirited sorority girl. She’s a dumb Elle Woods meets Regina George, so obviously we love her.
- Munsch – Played by horror legend Jamie Lee Curtis, we love her abrasive attitude towards the students of the school. We can’t help but make comparisons to Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester character from Glee here, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
- Hester – Played by Lea Michele in a neck brace, Hester surprised us! Michele’s comedic timing was arguably the best of anyone in the premiere episode, and her creepy knowledge about how to dispose of a body was both hilarious and unsettling at the same time.
- Chanel #2 – Played by Ariana Grande, Chanel’s death scene was the highlight of the episode. The texting, the tweeting, the coming back to send the tweet. It was a moment we hope goes down in horror genre history.
- Deaf Taylor Swift – Lots of jokes about not hearing felt a bit forced, but the character was funny and the lawnmower-over-the-head death scene was disgusting but somehow left us laughing.
- Grace – Played by Skyler Samuels, she’s the good girl on Scream Queens. We found it hard to like this character with such a powerhouse in Emma Roberts’ Chanel, but her purpose in the story is solid and will likely be a huge factor in every story throughout the season.
- Boone – Played by Nick Jonas, we find out that he’s a closeted fraternity brother who has a crush on his roommate. He’s also dead. Oh wait, no he’s not. Jonas’ character is a great dose of cute-guy in an otherwise female-driven cast.
- Chad – The same can be said about Chad, played by Glen Powell. We hope the brotastic relationship between Chad and Boone continues in both sensual and sinister ways! “I’ll leave your wiener alone,” says Boone as he jumps into bed with Chad.
- Pete – Played by Diego Boneta, this character seems to be one of the most intriguing. What are his intentions? Does he know something we don’t know? Why does the camera zoom in on his face every time he looks at Grace?
- Gigi – Played by SNL alum Nasim Pedrad, Gigi arguably stole the show for us. The character, the delivery – Pedrad was one of the funniest parts of the premiere. Like Pete, we can’t wait to see what comes of her character in terms of pure intrigue.
- Ms. Bean – She’s been at KKT since at least 1995, and was murdered via deep fryer courtesy of Chanel. Can one be murdered by a deep fryer? Is she actually dead? What other secrets does she know? Something feels like we haven’t seen the last of her.
- Sluts will die – Written in blood inside the KKT house, it invoked a serious screaming reaction from the girls. Will this be a slogan throughout the series or is this just a throwaway moment?
- The music – Ryan Murphy is known to invoke music into his television projects and it seems like Scream Queens will be no different. From “Waterfalls” to “A Thousand Years” the premiere had a lot of notable songs from years gone by. Do they have a bigger significance to the show?
- Denise – Played by Niecy Nash, the aloof security guard with phone numbers for every issue was pretty hilarious. Hopefully this character will live up to Niecy Nash’s amazing potential.
- Shondell – Denise’s security guard colleague was murdered in the car. Denise threw her out of the car but now no one can find the body.
- Candle vlogger – One of the pledges is a candle vlogger, which is a real thing on YouTube by the way. Ryan Murphy and his team continue to take pop culture cues to make some hilarious storylines.
- Red Devil – Of course we have to mention the Red Devil, the character committing all the murders. It’s probably too early to tell, but our hunch is that it’s not just one person. Check out this article on Hypable as we try to figure out who exactly the Red Devil is!
A side note about Chanel #2 and Ariana Grande, creator Brad Falchuk tweeted last night that she would in fact return to the series. So if you’re an Arianator, there’s hope for you:
— Scream Queens Brasil (@ScreamQBR) September 23, 2015
— Brad Falchuk (@BFalchuk) September 23, 2015
— C H A N E L #2 (@Chanel2Queen) September 23, 2015
— Brad Falchuk (@BFalchuk) September 23, 2015
Death Count (Series Premiere)
Chanel #2 (Ariana Grande)
Deaf Taylor Swift
Boone (Nick Jonas), but not really
What do you think about the Scream Queens premiere and who do you think is the Red Devil at this point?