ReWatchable is back! This week we discuss the second episode of Firefly – which to some viewers will have been the first – titled “The Train Job.”
Don’t forget that this podcast is spoiler-free, featuring both Firefly fans and newbies. So it’s safe for everyone to listen!
Announcement: we’ve been reading all your comments and have decided to start doing these shows on a weekly basis. So look for the discussion of 1×03 “Bushwacked” next week!
– Selina is back, and she’s much happier with Firefly this time around
– We explain why Fox made Joss Whedon write “The Train Job” as an alternate pilot, and discuss whether or not it was a better intro to the show than the “Serenity” pilot
– The western tropes: a bar fight, a train heist… appealing to both Western fans and non-Western fans
– The experiments on River: what could have happened to her?
– Shipping time! Simon/Kaylee, Mal/Inara exposition scene
– Selina and Kristen think that Shephard Book is hella shady
– Cartoonish villains, muahaha
– A Simon/Kaylee/Jayne love triangle?!
– Would Mal turn River over to the Alliance?
– Mal and Zoe pretending to be married
– Another example of a bad guy playing a good guy
– Inara proves why she’s useful
– Jayne saves Mal… but why?
– Are Jayne and Mal two sides of the same coin?
– Mal is the worst criminal ever. And he has no time for your evil revenge speeches
– “Two by two, hands of blue.” What does it mean?!
– Favourite scenes and quotes
– We check in on how we’re feeling about the characters in the second episode
– Caitlin and Kristen are shocked when their favourite character is dissed!
– Listener feedback: new Firefly fans, old Firefly fans, and Firefly flans (mmm, yummy)
And that’s the show! Do you think that “The Train Job” worked well as an alternate pilot episode?