Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has many memorable quotes. Here are our favorites from the fifth book.
On June 21, 2003, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix hit the shelves of bookstores worldwide, introducing the rabid fanbase to a darker, angrier Harry Potter. It gave us evil incarnate in Dolores Umbridge. And made us want a Dumbledore’s Army coin and private lessons in the Room of Requirement.
While some of the more memorable quotes from the book made it into the film, others were left only to those who spent their days huddled with a flashlight devouring the 800+ pages of the fifth installment of the J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World.
Here are our favorite quotes from Order of the Phoenix.
The Best ‘Order of the Phoenix’ Quotes
- “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” -Luna Lovegood
- “The castle grounds were gleaming in the sunlight as though freshly painted; the cloudless sky smiled at itself in the smoothly sparkling lake, the satin-green lawns rippled occasionally in a gentle breeze: June had arrived.” -J.K. Rowling, on Hogwarts
- “What’s life without a little risk?” -Sirius Black
- “I DON’T CARE!” Harry yelled at them, snatching up a lunascope and throwing it into the fireplace. “I’VE HAD ENOUGH, I’VE SEEN ENOUGH, I WANT OUT, I WANT IT TO END, I DON’T CARE ANYMORE!” — “You do care,” said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.” -Harry and Dumbledore following Sirius’ death
- “Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.” -Luna
- “The thing about growing up with Fred and George is that you sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” -Ginny
- “You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts . . . but you cannot deny he’s got style . . .” -Phineas Nigellus Black (and Kingsley Shacklebolt in the movie)
- “Have a biscuit, Potter.” -Professor McGonagall
- “Besides, the world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters. We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” -Sirius Black
- “Yeah, the D.A.’s good. Only let’s make it stand for Dumbledore’s Army because that’s the Ministry’s worst fear, isn’t it?” -Ginny
- “Just because you’ve got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn’t mean we all have.”
- “Youth can not know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.” -Dumbledore
- “Accio Brain!” -Ron
- “The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches. . . born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies. . . and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not. . . and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives. . . the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies. . .” -The Prophecy
- “Better wizards than you have lost buttocks, you know!” -Moody
- “Are you quite sure you wouldn’t like a cough drop, Dolores?” -Professor McGonagall
- “It was foolish of you to come here tonight Tom.” -Dumbledore
Want more brilliant moments from Rowling? Check out the 10 times J.K. Rowling inspired readers in the Harry Potter series.
This post has been updated to remove an incorrect quote.
It’s here. It’s now. Avengers: Endgame will be in cinemas today, and to round out our tribute to the original six Avengers, we’re getting ready to farewell our fearless leader by reflecting on five crucial Captain America scenes in the MCU.
With Avengers: Endgame a little over a day away, we’re counting down the top five best Iron Man moments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Avengers: Endgame draws near and the original six are gearing up for one final showdown (and this time Thor’s invited!). Before they do, we’re counting down the top five Thor scenes in the MCU, so far.
As we get closer to the theatrical premiere of Avengers: Endgame, we thought it was only fitting to honor the original six by sharing our favorite moments. Let’s kick things off with Hawkeye.
Before everyone’s fate is decided in Avengers: Endgame, we’re counting down the top five Hulk scenes in the MCU, so far.
Ahead of Avengers: Endgame, we’re counting down the top five best Black Widow moments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (thus far).
Love letter, dirge, tender farewell — Avengers: Endgame is here. Can it live up to the unsurpassed hype? (This review is spoiler-free.)
It won’t be long before the Reputation Taylor can’t come to the phone either!
Polly. Annie. Elizabeth. Catherine. Mary Jane. Though these women have been unjustly forgotten by history, Hallie Rubenhold’s The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper gives them back their voices and reminds us all of their value.