The first character descriptions for each of the leads in Fantastic Beasts have been revealed.
The descriptions offered by Entertainment Weekly are short but sweet, serving up lots of interesting tidbits about the characters. They arrive only hours after another report revealed the catalyst of Fantastic Beasts (Newt will accidentally release several of the beasts he’s captured into the wild, upsetting the Muggles who have a strong aversion to wizards co-existing in the United States).
Below are the character descriptions from EW as well as our thoughts on a few of them:
- Tina Goldstein (played by Katherine Waterston, pictured above left): “An ambitious worker at the Magical Congress of the United States of America (aka MACUSA, the U.S. version of the Ministry of Magic) who meets Newt. Tina is relegated to an office well below her abilities after she stood up for the wrong person. She longs to fight for what’s right.”
- Queenie (Alison Sudol, above right): “Tina’s younger sister and roommate, a big-hearted free-spirit ‘legilimens’ who can read minds.” Hypable’s thoughts: The practice of legilimency appeared several times in the Harry Potter series, most notably when Snape used it on Harry to train him in occulmency so that Voldemort couldn’t enter The Chosen One’s head. Queenie’s skills will be a nice connection to the Potter series and should make her a powerful player. At this time it’s not clear how her legilimency skills will come into play.
- Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler, above far right): “An optimistic No-Maj (aka Muggle) factory worker/aspiring baker who gets introduced to the wizarding world when he meets Newt. Fun fact: He’s the Harry Potter franchise’s first Muggle main character.”
- Graves (Colin Farrell): “A powerful auror and the right-hand man of the American wizarding world’s president.” Hypable’s thoughts: Casting Colin Farrell as an auror seems like a great idea. Not only does Colin look the part, but this profession will be another nice connection to the Harry Potter series. Remember: Harry Potter became an auror after the events of Deathly Hallows. Aurors typically deal with dark wizards, so Graves being a player in this film might suggest some serious enemies are lurking in the wings. By the way, I’ve heard that the USA’s Wizarding World President is going to be a woman.
- Mary Lou (Samantha Morton): “The narrow-minded leader of the fanatical Second Salemers, a group looking to expose and destroy wizards and witches.” Hypable’s thoughts: Video from the set of Fantastic Beasts last month depicted crowds chanting “we want a second salem,” so now we can assume Mary Lou is involved. It’s cool that the ideas behind the real-life Salem witch trials will loosely appear in Fantastic Beasts.
- Credence (Ezra Miller): “Perhaps the cast’s most mysterious character. He’s Mary Lou’s troubled adopted son.” Hypable’s thoughts: Troubled? Will he be on Mary Lou’s side or Newt’s?