An actor in the Divergent series is finally speaking out about the news that Lionsgate is dropping plans to release Ascendant in theaters.
Last month we told you the studio was putting a plan together to release the final installment in the Divergent film series on television rather than putting it in theaters. Their hope is for it to lead into a spinoff TV series.
Making matters more embarrassing: The studio will have to negotiate new deals with the stars because the contracts require each film to be released theatrically. This means that the stars could conceivably drop out of the last movie. If any characters are recast, the new stars will stick out like pimples since there’ve already been three movies released.
Speaking Wednesday night to The Hollywood Reporter, Miles Teller said he didn’t see the news coming. “It caught us all by surprise,” he said. So will he come back to shoot the finale? “At this point, it’s a different set of circumstances,” he said, referring to the need to write new contracts.
“We’ll see. I honestly haven’t talked to anybody.”
“Things do change anytime they’re messing with something that was not the original intention,” he added, hinting that he could bow out of the series. “We all signed on for it in hopes that it’d be released in theaters, and we all had every intention of finishing [the franchise].”
Despite the trouble, Teller looks back on Divergent fondly. “I’m not kidding when I say that you won’t find a single actor who worked in that franchise who would have anything bad to say about that experience,” he said. “It’s all good. I’ve got nothing but love for everybody I’ve worked with on that franchise.”
That’s funny. Remember that time Miles said Divergent sucks?