Jimmy McGill takes a big step towards his Saul Goodman persona in Better Call Saul season 3 thanks to the introduction of a couple Breaking Bad characters.
Hypable received the first two episodes of Better Call Saul season 3 ahead of its Monday, April 10 launch. Here are a few teases ahead of next month’s premiere date.
- The cold open of season 3 once again brings us back to Saul’s post-Breaking Bad world at the Omaha Cinnabon. We won’t spoil what happens in the scene, but we dare say Jimmy is missing his lawyering days. Crackpot theory: Could we one day see Better Call Saul episodes set after Bad in which Saul returns to being a lawyer?
- The first two episodes focus on the fallout from the end of season 2: What Chuck is going to do with Jimmy’s taped confession, and Mike realizing he’s being watched by Gus and his people.
- While a lot of promotion for the new season has highlighted Gus’ return to television, there’s actually another character who returns and has a lot more screen time. This writer was pleasantly surprised to see them return to TV. The character is in a much different place compared to their Breaking Bad timeline.
- In the first two episodes of the season, Gus doesn’t live up to the excitement that’s been built around his “return” by AMC. Though much of the promotion has focused on Los Pollos Hermanos (they built the restaurant at South by Southwest earlier this month), viewers are kept in suspense concerning Gus’ presence and role in this season.
- That said, Gus’ reveal/entrance lives up to classic moments from Breaking Bad. Viewers will be instantly transported back to the meth master’s keep-your-friends-close-and-your-enemies-closer mantra.
- In fact, Gus is so sly that even Jimmy, who we all think is pretty clever, doesn’t notice when the chicken shop owner is monitoring him.
I was a big fan of Better Call Saul season 2, and I’m looking forward to seeing the show head closer to the events of Breaking Bad in season 3. Gus’s presence on the show obviously means that things have the potential to get really interesting, and presumably he’ll be a player on the show for the rest of its run. The first two episodes may be a slow start, but I’ll stick with the show in hopes of the action ramping up.
‘Better Call Saul’ season 3 date
Better Call Saul 3×01, “Mabel,” airs Monday, April 10. 3×02, “Witness,” arrives one week later on April 17. Both episodes are directed by creator Vince Gilligan.