With New York Comic-Con about to get underway, Marvel has made a couple of big announcements concerning their Phase 3 slate.
First, a sequel to this year’s beloved Ant-Man is in the pipeline and will open July 6, 2018. The sequel is titled Ant-Man and the Wasp — and as you can tell, Hope Van Dyne and the Wasp will be taking on a lead role in this new movie! Anyone who saw Ant-Man over the summer knows why this makes perfect sense.
In more good news, Marvel’s Blank Panther starring Chadwick Boseman has been pushed up to February 16, 2018. It was previously set for July of that year.
And now some bad news: The new Ant-Man sequel has pushed Marvel’s first female-fronted film Captain Marvel back half a year to March 8, 2019. It was originally slated for November 2018. This is the second time the Carol Danvers-led film has been delayed (it’s very first date was July 2018, which is the new Ant-Man date).
Finally, Marvel has slated three new mystery films for May 1, 2020, July 10, 2020, and November 6, 2020. Let the speculation on those three begin!
Marvel’s Phase 3 slate now looks like this:
- May 2016: Captain America: Civil War
- November 2016: Doctor Strange
- May 2017: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- July 2017: Spider-Man
- November 2017: Thor: Ragnarok
- February 2018: Blank Panther
- May 2018: Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1
- July 2018: Ant-Man and the Wasp
- March 2019: Captain Marvel
- May 2019: Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2
- July 2019: Inhumans
- May 2020: Marvel Mystery Film 1
- July 2020: Marvel Mystery Film 2
- November 2020: Marvel Mystery Film 3
We suppose the news about Captain Marvel isn’t too heartbreaking since the new Ant-Man sequel will be Marvel’s first film with a female hero in the title. Still, the delay stings given how we’ve been so excited for Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers for so long.
What do you think of today’s announcements?
And which heroes do you think will appear in those three mystery film slots?