Disney revealed the new Lion King’s track list on Monday, and there are a couple interesting items to share.
The studio announced that the film’s soundtrack will arrive on streaming services July 11, and the physical album will drop with the movie on July 19. All your Lion King favorites are here, including one song from the Broadway version of the tale, “He Lives in You”.
Elton John and Tim Rice, who wrote several instant classics for the original animated version, have a new one for this iteration called “Never Too Late”.
Interestingly, Track 14 just says “TBA”. One would assume this is a song featuring Beyoncé, and another announcement will be made in the weeks ahead. You might recall that in February 2018, Elton John teased that he, Tim Rice, and “Beyoncé’s people” were working on a song for the superstar.
2019 ‘Lion King’ soundtrack
“Just hearing that music strikes you deeply,” Lion King director Jon Favreau said about the soundtrack in a press release. “Even if you don’t know the film or stage show, there is a spiritual strength in it. But if you know the film, and if you grew up with this music—now it can suddenly and immediately evoke the story itself, as well as all the connected memories and emotions that you have from your own past experience with The Lion King, or from the time of your life that you were in, or your childhood, or the life events it’s connected to.”
Find the full credits for each song on The Lion King soundtrack below:
1. “Circle of Life”/“Nants’ Ingonyama” – Performed by Lindiwe Mkhize; African vocals performed by Lebo M; written and composed by Elton John and Tim Rice; “Nants’ Ingonyama” written by Lebohang Morake and Hans Zimmer; produced by Hans Zimmer; vocals produced by Stephen Lipson
2. “Life’s Not Fair” – Hans Zimmer
3. “Rafiki’s Fireflies” – Hans Zimmer
4. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – Performed by JD McCrary, Shahadi Wright Joseph and John Oliver; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Pharrell Williams; co-produced by Stephen Lipson
5. “Elephant Graveyard” – Hans Zimmer
6. “Be Prepared” (2019 Version) – Performed by Chiwetel Ejiofor; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Hans Zimmer and David Fleming
7. “Stampede” – Hans Zimmer
8. “Scar Takes the Throne” – Hans Zimmer
9. “Hakuna Matata” – Performed by Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen, JD McCrary and Donald Glover; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Pharrell Williams; co-produced by Stephen Lipson
10. “Simba is Alive!” – Hans Zimmer
11. “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” – Performed by Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen; written by Luigi Creatore, Hugo Peretti, George David Weiss and Solomon Linda; produced by Pharrell Williams
12. “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” – Performed by Beyoncé, Donald Glover, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Pharrell Williams; co-produced by Stephen Lipson
13. “Reflections of Mufasa” – Hans Zimmer
15. “Battle for Pride Rock” – Hans Zimmer
16. “Remember” – Hans Zimmer
17. “Never Too Late” – Performed by Elton John; African vocal and choir arrangements created and produced by Lebo M; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Greg Kurstin; additional production by Elton John and Matt Still
18. “He Lives in You” – Performed by Lebo M; written by Mark Mancina, Jay Rifkin and Lebohang Morake; produced by Lebo M and Mark Mancina
19. “Mbube” – Performed by Lebo M; African vocal and choir arrangements created and produced by Lebo M; written by Solomon Linda; produced by Pharrell Williams
If you can’t wait to hear Beyoncé, check out this clip of “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” which was attached to a recent preview.