Twilight has some of the best quotations in modern young-adult literature. Usually writers write their best and most well-thought quotations when their characters are angry or depressed. Concerning depression, New Moon has no shortage of it.
Here are my top five favorite quotations from New Moon.
5. “ ‘Please.’ It was just a whisper in the blowing rain that tossed my hair and drenched my clothes.”
Bella says that in her mind before jumping off the cliff when her delusion of Edward begs her not to jump. The sentence, “It was just a whisper in the blowing rain that tossed my hair and drenched my clothes” is very atmospheric and expressive for me. It makes feel so IN the story, like I could feel the wind rushing past my face and the waves surrounding me, and makes her heartbreak more real for me. It’s taken out of context, so you probably can’t feel what I’m saying.
4. “I thought briefly of the clichés, about how you were supposed to see your life flash before your eyes. I was so much luckier. Who wanted to see a rerun, anyway?”
Bella says that in her mind while drowning. It’s miserable. I always cried when reading that (and I’m a guy!). Meyer creates deep psychologies for her characters and I think that’s why her characters are sometimes unaccepted. They are too real (even when they’re vampires) that readers are not used to that. They are used to either very good or extremely bad characters, which doesn’t exist in reality. Twilight characters have flaws, just like real people, which makes them perfectly-thought out characters in my opinion.
3. “Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars—points of light and reason….And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything.”
Edward said that to Bella after he returned to Forks. It’s not cheesy or overblown for me. I think it’s romantic in a good way. It shows the strength of Meyer’s writing. I always smiled when I read Bella’s response, “Your eyes will adjust.”
2. “Time passes, even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.”
This is the preface of chapter four, the chapter after Edward leaves Bella. Very true. That is the best of Meyer’s writing. There’s nothing more I can say after reading that great quotation without embarrassing myself. It wouldn’t compare.
1. “ ‘I thought we picked the zombie movie,’ I hissed to Jessica.
‘This is the zombie movie.’
‘Then why isn’t anyone getting eaten?’ I asked desperately.
She looked at me with wide eyes that were almost alarmed. ‘I’m sure that part’s coming,’ she whispered.”
Jessica said that to Bella in the movie theater when they went to see a zombie movie, a smart move by a depressed Bella to avoid seeing any kind of romance. That’s my favorite quote from New Moon. Good job, Stephenie!
So, what do you think? What are your favorites?
This article was written by a Hypable visitor! Learn more and write your own right here.