Will Iron Man 3 be Robert Downey Jr.’s last Iron Man film or will he be involved in Iron Man 4? With Iron Man 3 heading to U.S. theaters this Friday, what fans really want to know is whether Marvel will make Iron Man 4. Check out what we know so far about whether the film will be made and if the actor will even be involved.

iron man 4 small image maskRobert Downey Jr. and crew have been making their rounds these last few weeks, doing press junkets, and each interview gives us a bit more information as to whether Iron Man 4 is in the works. The real question is: Will Robert Downey Jr. even be in Iron Man 4?

Iron Man 4 has been the topic for many interviews with Robert Downey Jr., and in one he confirms that his contract with Marvel ends once press is done on Iron Man 3. Marvel is well-known for signing actors to very long-term contracts, which often include eight films or more. Samuel Jackson signed a nine-picture deal with Marvel, which has included two previous Iron Man films.

You may notice that Jackson wasn’t a major part of a few of those films, but he appeared in them nonetheless. This is also true with Robert Downey Jr., as he has appeared in multiple Marvel films, even if he just showed up in an after-credits scene, such as in The Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton’s Hulk film).

During a recent interview, Robert sat down to discuss his future with Marvel and said that hurting his ankle definitely got him thinking. He went on to say, “It got me thinking about how big the message from your cosmic sponsor needs to be before you pick it up. How many genre movies can I do? How many follow-ups to a successful follow-up are actually fun?” He makes a good point. How many times can he repeat his success and is it even appealing to him financially (or artistically) now that he took in a reported $50 million from The Avengers?

In an interview with THR, Robert Downey Jr. gave fans somewhat of a timeframe for what he’s got in mind for his future.:

“As quiet as it’s kept, I come from a family of very innovative writers and directors and actors and artists, and the circle of friends they were in were the people I heard having pun-offs playing poker at two in the morning, and it was just the most comforting aspect of my childhood. So there’s this kind of legacy of souls from what I consider to be a very particular time in entertainment, and I’m sensing a return to that, it’s what me and the missus are doing next. I heard Brady (Tom Brady, NFL Patriots) signed on for three more years with New England, and then he’s done being a quarterback, because he’ll be 40. I’m 47, and [three more years] I’ll be 50.”

He was later asked if he planned on stopping superhero films at 50 and he said, “I don’t know. Right now I don’t have a contract to do anything, and I did for the last five years.” Iron Man 4’s rumored release date of 2016 would be within his three-year period mentioned, but there are no facts pointing to that date from the studio or the actors.

One option being brought up recently is, could Marvel actually replace Robert Downey Jr.? Sure, it seems impossible right now, but as he mentioned previously, he’s nearing 50 and Marvel isn’t going to want to let go of the Iron Man franchise. With Iron Man 3 tracking for a $160 million dollar opening weekend, we imagine it’s difficult for the studios to let go of a money-maker like this, even if it means replacing the irreplaceable. Also interesting for Marvel/Disney is that Iron Man 3 is already beating The Avengers with $195.3 million at the international box office. The film will easily surpass the billion dollar mark.

iron man 3 kevin feigeMarvel’s President, Kevin Feige, did tell Huffington Post that it is, “certainly our plan to continue to have Robert Downey in the persona of Tony Stark for many, many years to come.” This seems to point to Marvel intending to push for Robert Downey Jr. to continue making Iron Man films, but what it really comes down to is whether Robert wants to continue playing Tony Stark.

Feige went on to say that he felt as though Tony Stark could be a lot like James Bond, where one actor (Sean Connery) is always thought of as the original, but that the public would grow to accept different actors playing the role as time moves on.

Marvel’s president further explained that, “It will take a while to fill any shoes, whether it’s filmmaker shoes or writer shoes or certainly actor shoes. I think Tony Stark is an interesting enough and rich enough character that he can persevere.”

Downey seems as though he’s in a position where he has to simply make a decision as to whether he should continue being locked into contracts with Marvel, or if he should move on to making some more artistic films, which he feels are better suited to his past and hopefully his future. Although, we doubt he regrets becoming Iron Man, as it’s netted him a small fortune and completely reinvigorated his entire career, but alas we will most likely see him again as Iron Man when Avengers 2 hits theaters in 2015 despite not yet having a new contract, something he says his lawyers and agents are “having a ball with right now.”

iron man 4 wide image

Another concern about Iron Man 4 is that even his co-stars, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Don Cheadle have said in recent Iron Man 3 press interviews that there won’t be another solo Iron Man film. Now, they aren’t the end all to discussions, but they definitely have their ear to the ground concerning the franchise as it’s much more important to their careers as to whether Iron Man 4 is made, than it would be for Robert Downey Jr.’s career.

What it essentially comes down to is if Robert Downey Jr. wants to continue being part of the “Marvel Machine.” He is, afterall, the man who was nominated for an Oscar for his role in Chaplin, and as he stated, comes from a family and group of friends which are very artistic, and staying on the Iron Man toy-ride may not be his goal for the future. Meanwhile, Iron Man 3 is getting great reviews, being called “Iron Man at his best,” so who knows how the success of Iron Man 3 will affect Downey’s decision for Iron Man 4.

For now, we look forward to seeing Downey in Iron Man 3, which is hitting theaters this Friday. We imagine if Robert Downey Jr. does indeed decide to put the suit back on for Iron Man 4, he’ll be the first one to let us know.

A new Fifty Shades Darker trailer was released on Wednesday and ups the sexy for the sequel.

Ana and Christian are getting back together in the Fifty Shades of Grey sequel, but the former has a couple of new rules: No secrets, way less BDSM. Christian agrees, but new problems come to light: Is someone from the millionaire’s past haunting him?

Read full article

A new Fifty Shades Darker trailer was released on Wednesday and ups the sexy for the sequel.

Ana and Christian are getting back together in the Fifty Shades of Grey sequel, but the former has a couple of new rules: No secrets, way less BDSM. Christian agrees, but new problems come to light: Is someone from the millionaire’s past haunting him?

Dakota Johnson continues to bring a fun vibe to Ana Steele, playing the awkward lines with self awareness better than Kristen Stewart ever did as Bella in Twilight. “Have dinner with me,” Christian begs. “Okay fine, I will have dinner with you, because I’m… hungry,” Ana replies. The line could come off corny if executed poorly, but Dakota has a strong hold on playing this character for fun.

Tickets for Fifty Shades Darker are now on sale. Check out a new poster for the movie below:

fifty-shades-darker-poster-2

The Fifty Shades Darker synopsis reads, “When a wounded Christian Grey tries to entice a cautious Ana Steele back into his life, she demands a new arrangement before she will give him another chance. As the two begin to build trust and find stability, shadowy figures from Christian’s past start to circle the couple, determined to destroy their hopes for a future together.”

The movie hits theaters this Valentine’s Day. It stars Dakota Johnson, Jamie Dornan, Eric Johnson, Jennifer Ehle, Victor Rasuk, Luke Grimes, Rita Ora, Eloise Mumford, Max Martini, Bella Heathcote, Kim Basinger and Marcia Gay Harden, and is directed by James Foley.

It’s looking like Nick Robinson will go from battling dinosaurs to battling the process of coming out.

‘Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda’ actor revealed

According to The Hollywood Reporter, 21-year-old Nick Robinson is in talks to play Simon in the book to film adaptation of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda written by Becky Albertalli. The movie will be directed by CW/DC Universe mastermind Greg Berlanti.

Nick Robinson is best known for his supporting role in Jurassic World, in which he played big brother Zach Mitchell. He also co-starred as Ben in the book to film adaptation of the dystopian novel The 5th Wave starring Chloe Moretz.

Read full article

It’s looking like Nick Robinson will go from battling dinosaurs to battling the process of coming out.

‘Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda’ actor revealed

According to The Hollywood Reporter, 21-year-old Nick Robinson is in talks to play Simon in the book to film adaptation of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda written by Becky Albertalli. The movie will be directed by CW/DC Universe mastermind Greg Berlanti.

Nick Robinson is best known for his supporting role in Jurassic World, in which he played big brother Zach Mitchell. He also co-starred as Ben in the book to film adaptation of the dystopian novel The 5th Wave starring Chloe Moretz.

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is an excellent coming of age/coming out LGBT YA novel which we’ve raved about here on Hypable before. Nick Robinson is definitely an actor we can picture in the role, so we can’t wait to see him play the adorable character.

The film is being produced by Wyck Godfrey’s Temple Hill Entertainment, who’s responsible for The Maze Runner series, The Twilight Saga, and the upcoming Power Rangers.

What do think of Nick Robinson as Simon?

If you haven’t read it yet, we highly recommend that you do. The book was first published last year:

After you read it, be sure to check out our exclusive interview with Becky Albertalli. Simon was her first novel!

Netflix has unveiled a new Series of Unfortunate Events trailer, showing off Neil Patrick Harris’ excellent portrayal of the evil, wacky, will-stop-at-nothing-to-get-that-money Count Olaf.

Neil Patrick Harris’ ability to convincingly become any person — whether male or female, young or old, ugly or beautiful — becomes abundantly clear in the latest ASOUE trailer. While some of us may’ve been a little skeptical of his casting initially, it’s hard to imagine anyone else in the role after seeing previews like this.

The trailer begins with narrator Lemony Snicket (played by Patrick Warburton) warning that the new Netflix show is no delightful watch. Then the focus turns to Olaf and his mission to steal the children’s fortune, left to them by their parents after their untimely deaths:

Read full article

Netflix has unveiled a new Series of Unfortunate Events trailer, showing off Neil Patrick Harris’ excellent portrayal of the evil, wacky, will-stop-at-nothing-to-get-that-money Count Olaf.

Neil Patrick Harris’ ability to convincingly become any person — whether male or female, young or old, ugly or beautiful — becomes abundantly clear in the latest ASOUE trailer. While some of us may’ve been a little skeptical of his casting initially, it’s hard to imagine anyone else in the role after seeing previews like this.

The trailer begins with narrator Lemony Snicket (played by Patrick Warburton) warning that the new Netflix show is no delightful watch. Then the focus turns to Olaf and his mission to steal the children’s fortune, left to them by their parents after their untimely deaths:

The Unfortunate Events trailer also presents new looks at colorful characters including Uncle Monty (Aasif Mandvi, below), Aunt Josephine (Alfre Woodard, below), and Justice Strauss (Joan Cusack).

unfortunate-events-netflix-2

unfortunate-events-netflix

A Series of Unfortunate Events premieres all eight episodes of its first season on January 13, 2017.

“Based on the internationally best-selling series of books by Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler) and starring Emmy and Tony Award winner Neil Patrick Harris, A Series of Unfortunate Events recounts the tragic tale of the Baudelaire orphans — Violet, Klaus, and Sunny – whose evil guardian Count Olaf will stop at nothing to get his hands on their inheritance. The siblings must outsmart Olaf at every turn, foiling his many devious plans and disguises, in order to discover clues to their parents’ mysterious death.”

Another trailer was released two weeks ago — you can watch it here.

Is ‘Unfortunate Events’ looking as good as you hoped?

Harris previously confirmed that each book will be adapted into two episodes of the show. The first season of ASOUE covers the first four books, so presumably season 2 will roughly cover another four books. There are a total of 13 books in Lemony Snicket’s series.