Warner Bros. and Amazon have revealed a new Harry Potter box set loaded with special features more affordable than their $500 Wizard’s Collection.
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection includes all eight movies and their original special features on DVD, Blu-ray, and Ultraviolet for $174.99 (after Amazon discount). It goes on sale February 25, 2014 and is essentially a light-weight version of Wizard’s Collection, a set which was housed in a really fancy box.
You can pre-order now on Amazon. It appears to be exclusive to the online retailer.
Hogwarts Collection includes 37 hours of special features on 31 discs. The eight part “Creating the World of Harry Potter” documentary series – first seen on the Ultimate Editions – is one of the features.
The documentary series:
– Part 1: The Magic Begins – Explore the early decisions that impacted the entire series, and follow the search for the young leads.
– Part 2: Characters – Learn about the casting process and how the actors brought J.K. Rowling’s beloved characters to life.
– Part 3: Creatures – Meet a new group of wizards: the artists who created the monsters and marvels in Harry’s world.
– Part 4: Sound & Music – Hear how the composers and sound experts used their craft to magnify the series’ emotional journey.
– Part 5: Evolution – Join the filmmakers as they discuss how the creative vision for the films evolved throughout the series.
– Part 6: Magical Effects – Watch how technical wizards conjured up an amazing alternate reality using CGI and practical effects.
– Part 7: Story – Listen in as J.K. Rowling and Steve Kloves discuss how the books were adapted for the screen.
– Part 8: Growing Up – See how the young stars’ ideas of acting, fame and themselves have changed over ten years.
The bonus disc with additional special features:
– “The Harry Potters You Never Met” – Meet the stunt doubles for Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as they demonstrate how they balanced major stunt work with seamlessly mimicking the actors they represented and share their favorite moments.
– “Designing the World of Harry Potter” – Explore how production designer Stuart Craig and his creative team brought J.K. Rowling’s imagination to life on the screen.
– “When Harry Left Hogwarts” (Extended Version) – Hear candid and emotional stories about the final days on set in this extended behind-the-scenes look.
– “50 Greatest Harry Potter Moments” (Definitive Version) – Take a look back with cast members who share their on and off-screen memories.
– “Secrets Revealed! Quidditch” – At last, the secrets behind the special effects required for the breathtaking Quidditch scenes are revealed!
– “Secrets Revealed! Hagrid”- See the camera tricks, towering stand-in and voluminous body suits behind the beloved Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts.
While there aren’t any new special features with Hogwarts Collection, it’s nice to see a cheaper option for those who are looking to saddle up the entire series.
An even cheaper box set has been available for a while but does not include many special features.