Star Trek’s lead actor Chris Pine (Captain Kirk) has reason to speak up about J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars: Episode 7. The actor can credit Abrams with successfully rebooting the Trek franchise, and trusts he’ll be able to do the same for Wars.
“The only way I’ll be disappointed is if he doesn’t direct our third movie,” said Pine to USA Today. “I think if that turns out to be the case we’ll have to kidnap him and hold him hostage until he agrees to do a third.”
Late last week Paramount commented on the news of Abrams taking on Star Wars and how it would affect his role with the Star Trek series. They said that he is “committed” to “produce” a third Star Trek. That unfortunately means it’s possible he won’t direct. Pine will have to brush up on his kidnapping skills.
Pine is very happy for his director-friend. “From my standpoint, J.J. is a science-fiction genius,” he said. “To have him over in the Star Wars camp is going to be a great thing. I’m sure it’s going to be a great film.”
Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to 2009’s Star Trek, will open in theaters this May. A new trailer is expected at this Sunday’s Super Bowl.
Do you think it’s important Abrams helms a third Star Trek, or could the project be safe in someone else’s hands?