In November we had learned that Benedict Cumberbatch was part of the BBC Radio 4 production of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere, and now an audio preview unveils the beloved actor singing!
Neverwhere tells the story of Richard Mayhew, a young Scottish man living in London, who journeys into the mysterious and hidden world of London Below after helping one of its inhabitants, a girl named Door. After his interaction with Door, he discovers that he has come to no longer exist in the ‘real world’ – London Above – and he travels through London Below with Door and the sassy Marquis de Carabas in order to find a solution.
Cumberbatch plays the mysterious Islington. You can hear him stretch is vocal muscles – that are evidently as sultry as his looks – below:
Neverwhere‘s cast includes:
- James McAvoy as Richard Mayhew, our lost Scotsman
- Natalie Dormer as Door, the girl who leads Richard to London Below
- David Harewood as the Marquis de Carabas, a cunning trickster but loyal friend to Door
- Sophie Okonedo as Hunter, the bodyguard Door hires
- Anthony Head as Croup, an assassin
- David Schofield as Vandemar, an assassin
- Bernard Cribbins as The Old Bailey, an inhabitant of London Below
- Romola Garai as Jessica, Richard’s fiancée in London Above
- Sir Christopher Lee as the Earl of Earl’s Court
As we noted in November, this is an all-star cast. Neverwhere Part 1 will be broadcast Saturday at 14:30 on BBC Radio 4. The remaining episodes will air at 18:00 Monday, March 18 – Thursday, March 21. A date for the finale (part six) has not been set.
Listen to another clip, from the premiere episode, below: