In November we had learned that Benedict Cumberbatch was part of the BBC Radio 4 production of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere, and now an audio preview unveils the beloved actor singing!
Neverwhere tells the story of Richard Mayhew, a young Scottish man living in London, who journeys into the mysterious and hidden world of London Below after helping one of its inhabitants, a girl named Door. After his interaction with Door, he discovers that he has come to no longer exist in the ‘real world’ – London Above – and he travels through London Below with Door and the sassy Marquis de Carabas in order to find a solution.
Cumberbatch plays the mysterious Islington. You can hear him stretch is vocal muscles – that are evidently as sultry as his looks – below:
Neverwhere‘s cast includes:
- James McAvoy as Richard Mayhew, our lost Scotsman
- Natalie Dormer as Door, the girl who leads Richard to London Below
- David Harewood as the Marquis de Carabas, a cunning trickster but loyal friend to Door
- Sophie Okonedo as Hunter, the bodyguard Door hires
- Anthony Head as Croup, an assassin
- David Schofield as Vandemar, an assassin
- Bernard Cribbins as The Old Bailey, an inhabitant of London Below
- Romola Garai as Jessica, Richard’s fiancée in London Above
- Sir Christopher Lee as the Earl of Earl’s Court
As we noted in November, this is an all-star cast. Neverwhere Part 1 will be broadcast Saturday at 14:30 on BBC Radio 4. The remaining episodes will air at 18:00 Monday, March 18 – Thursday, March 21. A date for the finale (part six) has not been set.
Listen to another clip, from the premiere episode, below:
Hypable encourages the community to use our Comments feature to hold thoughtful, polite, and critical discussions. We do NOT tolerate inappropriate, rude, or downright mean discussion towards the news story's subject matter or towards other Hypable users. We reserve the right to delete or ban comments and users who violate these guidelines.