Despite the fact that many of J.K. Rowling’s stories have been out for nearly or over a decade, two of the Harry Potter books are still enchanting young readers.
The Guardian surveyed students from nearly 2,000 schools in the United Kingdom to determine what kids are reading. The list, in no particular order, is as follows:
- Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
- Alex Rider: Crocodile Tears by Anthony Horowitz
- The Dead Girls Dance by Rachel Caine
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
- Mates, Dates, and Sole Survivors by Cathy Hopkins
- Survival by Chris Ryan
- Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
We’re happy to see that kids are still discovering Harry Potter. Personally, we wish they had voted for other Harry Potter books like Order of the Phoenix or Deathly Hallows.
Unsurprisingly, all of the books on the list are fiction. Other stand outs include the first Twilight book, which just wrapped its film series, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which is a hit amongst elementary school kids.
Hypable encourages the community to use our Comments feature to hold thoughtful, polite, and critical discussions. We do NOT tolerate inappropriate, rude, or downright mean discussion towards the news story's subject matter or towards other Hypable users. We reserve the right to delete or ban comments and users who violate these guidelines.