Find out what extras you can expect on the Game of Thrones season 2 DVD and Blu-ray box sets, including commentaries, featurettes and character guides.
Entertainment Weekly has released the list of bonus features that will appear on the DVD and Blu-ray sets, and they include a staggering 12 commentaries!
On the DVD box set, the special features will be:
- Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay – See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30 minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.
- Game of Thrones: Inner Circle – Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- The Religions of Westeros – Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
- Character Profiles – Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.
- Audio Commentaries – 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.
For the Blu-ray, you can expect all of the above plus these tempting extras:
- War of the Five Kings – Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and defeats.
- Histories & Lore – 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.
- In-Episode Guide – In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- Hidden Dragon Eggs – Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
That’s enough to keep any Game of Thrones fan busy for days! We’re especially pumped about the amount of commentaries – two more than there are episodes! Which episodes do you think will have more than one commentary? And are you excited to see George R.R. Martin’s name on the list of people who will be participating?
EW also has an exclusive preview clip showing the creation of the Battle of Blackwater, which you can see on its website.
You can expect Game of Thrones season 2 to be released on February 19, 2013. The Blu-ray with HBO Select will retail for $79.98, while the DVD will be $59.99.
The third season of the HBO series premieres on March 31.
Hypable encourages the community to use our Comments feature to hold thoughtful, polite, and critical discussions. We do NOT tolerate inappropriate, rude, or downright mean discussion towards the news story's subject matter or towards other Hypable users. We reserve the right to delete or ban comments and users who violate these guidelines.